Sunday 6 September 2009

One Last Buddha

(written 06/09/09, posted 14/10/09)

Get to Bangkok feeling frazzled and tired. I get on the internet to pass the time as it’s so early. I haven’t booked a hotel too so need to sort that out. I get a call from the hotel I’ve just booked online and they tell me the airport has moved. I was getting a bit suspicious as all the local buses were going to an airport with a different name. I recommend that the Rough Guide updates their last Thailand Edition as it is grossly out of date!

I end up booking a hotel on Khao San Road so at least I get a proper experience of Bangkok as I have been avoiding staying here throughout my travels in Thailand. I go for a walk and decide to jump the river boat down to Wat Pho to see the massive reclining Buddha. It was another tourist thing to do but it felt right to see one last temple and Buddha. Within two hours of being out and about I’m tired. The night bus trip last night is not conducive to being in a good mood and I find I want to swear at the tuk-tuk driver who tries to rip me off. In fact, I do and head off to have a nap in what feels like a bit of childish strop. In fact, it is. After bed I’m much better and go for a swim and shopping. The afternoon is about reflection and relaxation before tomorrow’s journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment