Sunday 19 July 2009

Actually time for Sightseeing in Shanghai

(written on 19/07/09, posted on 17/09/09)

Another 6am finish. It was supposed to be a buffet, a beer then bedtime. It doesn't happen in this city. We ended up out drinking beers for a while. As most people headed for home, my friend and I went to a club called Shelter. It was an underground cavern so whilst she did some weird house dancing to beep beep music I went and sat with a random group of ex-pats and got them to buy me beers. Having learnt a lot about Shanghai and drank a lot we got back to the hostel late. Again.


I was supposed to check out today to travel to Hangzhou for the total eclipse but I can't face it. I drag myself to reception to book in another night. There's now four of us hanging around together in the hostel: Fran, Tanja, Robert and I. So we go out to sight see things I have missed due to drinking alcohol and sleeping a lot in the last few days.

I have a very interesting chat with Robert who is here to do a course on Buddhism. We chat about the different branches of Buddhism and religion in general. We're all heading to the Renmin Park as he spotted these pieces of paper hanging on the trees yesterday and we found out what they were so we're off to investigate further.

Due to China's one child policy, which has been in existence for around 20 years, there are rather a lot of men around. Their parents come to the park to post up their son's and daughter's credentials whilst other parents wander around shopping for suitable partners for their offspring. I discreetly try to take a pic and it's quickly clear I'm not being inconspicuous enough as a woman comes over and tries to wallop me with her brolly. A sharp exit was required.

No comments:

Post a Comment