Monday 27 July 2009

Hanoi gets better


(written on 27/07/09, posted on 28/09/09)

I can't check in until 12. After two night trains in a row I'm desperate for a shower but it's off round town and hope no-one notices. Everything is so disorientating until I realise that streets have a theme: leather street for handbags and wallets, clothes street, lantern street and even a smoothie street. I can't wait to get shopping later. I'm loving the look of the food stalls too.


I manage a stroll round the lake and a quick look in the temple. It's not long until my money seems to be running out and I realise that the 300,000 Vietnamese Dong I took out earlier is worth £10. With time nearing 12, I try and get back but everywhere looks the same. Everything feels so much smaller than China too. Even the little plastic stools that people sit on in the street are tiny. I better not mention the clothes too. I'd probably be an XXXL.
Eventually I get back and there are backpackers everywhere. All after Halong Bay trips which are basically supposed to be beautiful but which are essentially a drinkfest. I leave it until later to book. As I rest after my shower, T enters the dorm. She's bubbly and lovely. I'm relieved as I haven't spoken to anyone older than 25 yet today. It's her 30th in a couple of days so we agree to do the Halong Bay trip together. Can't miss celebrating a birthday like that.
We then meet A and N from California. What then happens is we all go out for drinks, eats, shopping and exploring for the rest of the day. I tried to find the famous Bia Hoi Junction where there are 4 street places, one on each corner of a junction that serve freshly brewed beer for 30 cents a glass. That'll have to be tomorrow then!

No comments:

Post a Comment