Wednesday 22 July 2009

Total Eclipse in Hangzhou

(written on 22/07/09, posted on 17/09/09)















I've been in Hangzhou for three days now and I love it. It was a nightmare making sure I got in the hostel as it was so rife with eclipse hunters. My hostel is lovely and I've met such a variety of people including two English teachers living in China, an American man and an English woman. Ten of us go out for dinner and the two teachers have brilliant stories to tell about Chinese culture. We get some great advice. Apparently treat everything here like a practical joke is being played on you.

This would have helped had I have known this when I arrived. I couldn't get any money out or get my travellers cheques changed. I'd been running around trying to get it sorted before 5pm. I was looking pretty bad and stressed. As I was waiting to cross the road, a coach pulled up at the traffic lights on the opposite side waiting for the lights to change. Two Chinese men saw me and started pointing and laughing. When I didn't smile this only made them laugh more. As the coach pulled away their laughter increased and tey saluted me. Totally bemused at what was so funny, I saluted back before I noticed a police car there. I ran into the air-conditioned bank and was finally relived to get some cash.

With Chinese speakers in tow we order up a feast for dinner and the food is amazing. It's the best aubergine I've ever tasted. Cooked until it's delectably soft coated in a black bean peppered sauce. So hunting that dish down next time I'm in a Chinese at home.

Anyway, the eclipse this morning was amazing. I ended up watching it on my own as my train was only 4 ours after it so I didn't have time to get a taxi out with the others to try and catch the tidal bore wave at the estuary which is a phenomena that happens on the same day. I find out later that it was too cloudy where they were so I ended up with the best option. Due to the cloud before totality I got some great pics. One of the best bits was an elderly woman waving her eclipse glasses at me in excitement as I went to find a space to sit. There was a real sense of the crowd being together too. And I actually enjoyed being on my own as it was a pretty awe-inspiring experience. I was a bit emotional whilst it was happening then was on a complete high for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment