Sunday 12 July 2009

Paomo and friends

(written on 12/07/09, posted on 17/09/09)

Who said Xi'an was a small town? It's a city and like everything in China, bigger than it first appears. I get a free pick up off the night train to the hostel which is a relief as I would have got lost.

Today seems to be the day for meeting people. By 10am, I've shared the pick up with a couple from Spain, talked to a French man then an American in the hostel reception. Both later turn out to be in the same dorm. This is the worst bit about travelling cheaply: having to share with some very random people including men (sorry!). Of course it can be the best bit too as I've already met some great people. After a quick clean up, I bump into French guy on the net and we go out to explore. Man, that guy could talk. I'm exhausted after a few hours but I've managed to get to the post office to post back 2kg worth of stuff I realise I'm not going to need. I'm looking forward to my rucksack being lighter when I travel on my next night train tomorrow.

American guy had lunch at subway so he comes up for some stick. And the three of us decide to go for beers and a local dish tonight, called Paomo. We get caught up in the bar chatting to two American sisters who spend the whole time moaning that China is dirty and smelly. They've never been to Asia before or actually outside of America. I doubt they've ever been to anywhere outside their home town. My American friend tries to talk to them but eventually we give up, they are trying to book the earliest flight out of China they can get.

We escape having had a few beers and eventually find some Paomo. It's delicious, why don't we do this in the UK? It's like a lamb stew with bread cubes that have soaked up all the tasty juices. Yum. We end up getting ripped off as a plate of random spicy rice turns up which they charge us an astronomical amount for. We argue with the lady who looks like she;'s going to punch me and eventually we settle the bill when a couple of large guys come out to see what the commotion is about. It's not a good end to the night. Our American friend feels slightly responsible as he was able to chat with the waiter as he lived in Japan for a few years. French man and I shrug it off but it leaves a bitter taste to our Paomo.

No comments:

Post a Comment