Saturday 18 July 2009

Shangers

(written on 18/07/09, posted on 17/09/09)

I got to Shanghai yesterday, did what I normally do when I've had a long journey. Get a hotel, see a couple of sights and relax. Next day, I moved to a cheaper hostel, met up with a lovely German girl, who know a lot of ex-pats here and before you know it I'm dragged out in my flip flops and we end up out until 6am drinking and dancing. There was a lovely crowd out of ex-pats from Germany and Japan and some locals, oh and us couple of backpackers wearing the only things that might pass for going out gear.

Walking back at 6am, the taxi got lost, we go exasperated and we recognised some landmark and got out. As we walked past Renmin Square we saw kites gliding through the air above the trees. This peaceful surreality at 6am was broken by a strange sound. As friend and I look around approximately 100 policeman appear, march down the road and turn off. We look at each other stunned. China never fails to surprise.
Off out again tonight with the ex-pats for an all you can eat buffet. Perfect hangover food!

No comments:

Post a Comment