Wednesday 26 August 2009

Burma Visa Run

(written on 26/08/09, posted on 06/10/09)

I’m so early this morning that the woman who does breakfast in the morning is still praying to the spirit house. Every house has a smaller spirit house which they offer food to and pray to every morning before 12. This is to appease the spirits that have no where to live now there is a new house or building there. The mini-houses look a bit like elaborate and colourful bird tables and some have cars and furniture in them like dolls houses. I wanted to get a picture of one but didn’t want to offend any of the locals. Or the spirits.

Anyway, today? Dullsville. A seven hour trip to Burma and back means going across the border, getting my passport stamped, waiting an hour and coming back into Thailand just to get seven more days on my visa. If I’d have come in by plane my visa would have been 30 days but as I came overland it’s 15. Seven days too short to get me through to the 7th September when I fly home. There are only three of us on the run, the two others are older white gentlemen. Turns out the Geordie bloke is brilliant and here for a year. And not looking for a wife. Well not specifically anyway. He tells me how it works at this border and recommends the market.

Several purchases made, we all meet back up on the Thailand side and our driver picks us up. Back to Chiang Mai for 3pm it’s a waste of a day but I have three hours in which to go to the post office, get some more books and eat. The night bus is predictably bad again but it’s so cheap it really doesn’t matter. It’s all about journal catching up and sleeping today. I’m still not sure where I’m off to next. I don’t want to stay in Bangkok and would rather do this at the end of my trip as I fly from here. Everyone recommends Koh Phi Phi even though it was my aim to go to the Gulf coast (Eastern side) as the weather is better at this time of year and Koh Tao has good diving. I’ll make a decision at 5am tomorrow when I get there…

No comments:

Post a Comment