Saturday 22 August 2009

Rain, rain, go away...

(written 22/08/09, posted 06/10/09)

It’s bucketing it down. Thirty minute rainstorms in Cambodia had turned to an hour or two since being here but today it starts off rainy and never stops. So much for moto hire to see Wat Doi Suthep up the mountain with M. Moto + my moto skills + rain = potential disaster. We drink coffee and do the crossword instead. When it’s clear the rain isn’t going to stop we jump into a tuk-tuk and visit the Waroros market for locals as M needs some supplies for his homestay next week. Namely a man’s sarong for washing and getting changed under so he doesn’t give the villagers a surprise. I end up with more fisherman’s pants and some great material.

Lunch in the market is brilliant. We feast on my first Som Tam (Papaya salad) which I’ve now decided is the best thing since sliced bread. Still raining so it’s more shopping and more coffee. After a shopping respite, M and I meet up again later with S, the other volunteer here from VSO who was also on my course back in Birmingham. Catching up and listening to them chat reconfirms my absolute desire to do this. I still haven’t heard from the placement I accepted but that’s no surprise as it hasn’t been that long since I hastily filled out the application in Cambodia. I’m so keen it’s funny. More beers at the local bar with our favourite bar shop lady who can’t get anything I say in Thai. It’s really no surprise as I’m not getting on so well with this tonal language. S and I rely on M to order away, which he does and it ends up being another lovely night of beers, food and great company. What a shame, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment