Wednesday 19 August 2009

Travels into Thailand

(written 19/08/09, posted 03/10/09)

L and I parted yesterday as she was going back to Phnom Penh and I'm continuing my travels. I have 3 weeks left to do Thailand and it doesn't feel like very long. I wanted to go straight to Chiang Mai but at a cost of $45 compared to $8.50 to get to Bangkok the latter option was the only one.

I left the hotel at 07.30am yesterday by couch, travelled through the Cambodian border, was herded onto a mini-bus with 10 others and all of our luggage and driven at speed into Thailand. Six hours later after a very bumpy ride we arrived in Bangkok at 4pm. I knew on sight I didn't want to be there so booked a night bus for 6pm to Chiang Mai. The bus was horrible and there was a different feeling with the travellers. I think it was because most people were in groups and it almost felt like if you were on your own that was a bit weird. I hadn't felt like that since China and that was from the locals not fellow travellers.

Once in Chiang Mai we were dumped outside of town and persuaded to book hotels. I'd read about these scams in my guidebook so luckily got a lift into town on the Songthaew (open backed shared mini-van taxi) with all the others who had the foresight to book somewhere.

I basically spend the day exploring on foot and treat myself to a big Pad Thai for lunch which is delicious and better than any I've tasted in England. I go and see a few temples as Chiang Mai has plenty and relax by the moat. There are two VSO volunteers here doing their In Country Orientation training. I met them at my last course so I call one and we meet up. It's great to see M as we got on so well when I met him. We go for local beers which entails sitting outside what feels like a newsagent on stools. I love it, it's much nicer than being in a pub. He chats to passers-by in Thai and between catching up we idly watch life on the street go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment