Saturday 15 August 2009

Circus Sunrise


(written 15/08/09, posted 03/10/09)

As you can see from the picture, yes I took some photos and became part of the circus that is sunrise at Angkor Wat. No mobile or shouting at the top of my voice though. And not like one group of tourists holding hands and running together through the temple grounds. I felt auras of sacredness for about 5 minutes between the chaos.

Total shame. Yes, the Cambodian government needs money (but do they use it in the right way?). Yes, Cambodian people need an influx of tourists. Yes, this is part of the world's history and people should see it. Does it have to be like this though? It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Who protects it? Neither Halong Bay in Vietnam or Angkor Wat feels looked after.

Perhaps I'm just a bit ill today and grumpy. Seem to be coming down with some kind of flu. This is surprising as I've made it through 6 weeks of Asia with only very minor stomach problems but I guess if it's going to happen anywhere it would be here. Feeling very sorry for myself and the world today. Cor melodrama much!

No comments:

Post a Comment