Tuesday 25 August 2009

Flip-Flop-a-rama


(written on 25/08/09, posted 06/10/09)

I make the effort to go to Wat Soi Duthep today up the mountain as many people say it’s the one thing you have to do in Chiang Mai. As all my clothes are being laundered at the hostel after trekking, I’m in a highly inappropriate strapless dress and flip flops. I walk to the edge of town to get the songthaew up. The driver explains he has to drive a bit further to drop me off at the right stop. As I get out my left flip-flop breaks. The two songthaew drivers at the bus stop laugh at me. And the other driver is saying something to them in Thai. One says you can’t go up a mountain like that and hands me his shoes whilst pointing at the row of shops further down the street. Lucky Thai men have small feet. I give him my shoes and he sits down at the bus stop with my pretty flip flops on. It’s hilarious. We’re all laughing and I promise to be back in five minutes. After two shops someone points me to the 7-11 and I get a sturdy pair of lovely red plastic ones and go back to swap shoes. A woman has appeared and keeps grinning at me and doing thumbs up. I do love this place. Thai people are so friendly and kind. And I love the generosity of strangers when you’re travelling and you’re in a bit of a mess.

The temple is great and I spend the rest of the day reading a book I’ve picked up called ‘Karma for Travellers’ recommended by my VSO colleagues. I wish they’d write one called ‘Karma for Commuters’.

I treat myself to a long awaited pedicure and Thai massage. I get beaten up for the next 90 minutes and it feels great. I’m planning to post another package back to the UK so I spend the rest of today shopping at the night markets and picking up some lovely bargains: kimonos, table ware and pretty fairy lights. Still can’t find a decent hammock though. Ridiculous as I haven’t got anyway to put one but I feel this unnecessary urge to buy one in Asia. I have a fight with the tuk-tuk driver who is driving up the street after me haggling to try and get more than the 40 I’m willing to pay, and that’s generous. The other tourists are looking at us like we’re mad but I’m not paying his proposed, stupidly inflated 60 Baht on principle.

Once home I marvel at the sheer amount I’ve managed to amass on my own and go to sleep. An early one tomorrow for Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment