Saturday 1 August 2009

Night travel by bus to Hoi An


(written on 01/08/09, published 28/09/09)



I was sad to leave Hanoi behind and felt there was a lot more I didn't see or experience. It was time to say goodbye to a few people we'd shared the Halong Bay trip with. I was really sad to see L go, a British girl on her way to New Zealand to live. After some sad goodbyes and a rushed Panini, T, myself and two very hungover British girls tramped off to the night bus. For $40 for a 4 stop ticket enabling me to get all the way to Saigon was clearly to good to be true. There were the 4 of us plus another person crammed in on the top bunk with barely space to move. That wasn't the worst though. The aircon was blowing a sewer smell into our faces and it was freezing. The toilet stops were plain scary and no-one wanted to go on their own. Why we didn't get a lovely train I don't know!

Anyway, T by this point decided to skip her stop to Hue and jumps on the day bus with the remaining 3 of us. We arrive, dodge the hotel touts and manage to get a hotel pretty quickly. Hoi An just felt pretty, gentile and quiet on arrival. Deep yellow painted houses and dark wood. Fragrances and delicious food. Lanterns and river boats. Balconies and cocktails. And clothes upon clothes. After a bad night, T and I went on the rampage, shopping and having cocktails.

A good meal and an early night for us though. T tore up her bus ticket and vowed never to get on a sleeper bus again. With 6 weeks to go of my trip there was going to plenty more sleeper buses for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment