Monday 24 August 2009

Tribe trekking

(written 24/08/09, posted 06/10/09)

I haven’t been able to write in my journal for the last day or so as I went on a Hill Tribe trek. An elephant tour to start with, then a trek up through the mountains, a dip in a waterfall, hiking clothes back on for the next trek up to our village camp. In the mountains it rains constantly so all of us in my group of seven were totally soaked when we got to camp. I rinsed out my clothes and had a ‘shower’ which was a strip wash in brown water! Even getting from the toilet to my bamboo hut, which had woodworm, was a nightmare as the steps were made from eroded mud. All of us were sliding around. No electricity here either so come dark it was all candles and games of cards. The two different groups of girls were all on three day treks and were trying to convince me to stay an extra night. With not enough dry clothes with me and no entertainment by the next morning it was a great big fat ‘no’.

Today was fun. I was in a different group, having left everyone else to a full day’s trek. The morning was heavy going like it was yesterday. I thought we’d do an afternoon trek too after another waterfall but this mini-trek only lasted an hour before we jumped in a truck and were taken to lunch. As my new group and I sat in our hut, it started to bucket down but I knew a hot shower was nearly in sight. Two Spanish boys got a lift back to Chiang Mai as they’d done three days and were tired. Mistake. With five of us left, we went bamboo rafting. It was brilliant fun! Trying to stand up and not fall off as the raft was rolling over the river surges was pretty tough and I’d recommend it for anyone wanting a core body work out.

In the songthaew on the way back we munch on my left over Oreos and cashews before I nod off. Meet M later for yet more local beers, well why would you not go to a local shop that’s a lot more fun? And more street food, so much better and cheaper than the restaurants. It’s the last night for beers as he’s got training and I have a visa run to Burma followed by my night bus to Bangkok. No clue what I’m doing after that but that decision will be made later, as I’ve become accustomed too. More VSO chat and we cover the deeper subject of length of placements and what has happened to a few ex-volunteers here who have stayed. I see M staying here, I know he’s spent time in Thailand before but it is different. Sometimes you see someone in their environment and it’s clear that this is just where they belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment