Thursday 27 August 2009

A new place and another new friend

(written on 27/08/09, posted on 06/10/09)

I get to the famous Khao San Road at 4.45am. How am I going to get a bus now? The travel agent confirms the next bus to Krabi where I can get a ferry to Phi Phi is at 6pm. With no safe place to leave luggage and not wanting to stay she recommends the bus terminal. A proper government bus! That should be ok. I try and get a bus. Nothing arrives. My Rough Guide is two years out of date so it is possible that the bus number is wrong. A hundred taxis have already been stopping to offer me a ride. Now I want one, I can’t find one! I manage to get to the bus station in time and get a ticket for the 7.30am day bus that gets to Krabi at 8pm so I’ll have to stay there one night. At the bus stand I see another woman there and we smile at each other. On the bus I realise it’s all locals and much nicer than the night buses. We have several food stops and at one of them I get talking to the woman, R, and we agree we’ll look for a hostel later together as it’s much nicer having someone to go around a new place hunting together.

Many moons, or so it feels, later we’re in Krabi (see pic). We get a tuk-tuk easily. R and I find a clean enough hostel and its 150 Baht for a twin so we share. We go for beers and share a few stories. R is off tomorrow on a different boat to a different beach but she fills me in on Phi Phi where I’ve now bought my ticket too. Decision made, brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment