Monday 3 August 2009

On China Beach (sing along now)


(written 03/08/09, posted 28/09/09)

We arrive after a 20 minute taxi ride and even after ice creams we still feel het up. I walk in and ask a man if this is Hoa's Place. He shakes my hand tells me he is Hoa, that I should grab a beer from the fridge and I can order lunch if I still want it. Instantly I relax. I realise how tough it's been travelling round China on my own rarely being anywhere longer than a couple of days.


I grab that beer and chat to Hoa. He is playing cards with a British couple that come here for 5 nights and stayed for 24. Hoa points to the shelf behind the bar with 23 guestbooks from the last 15 or so years that he has run this place. When he talks the couples eyes shine. This is an amazing place and I've never experienced hospitality and trust like it. I ask Hoa if he can phone the bus company and change my ticket to the next night.


T and I spend the afternoon on the beach getting back to normal. We amazingly bump into L from Halong Bay who had spent some time in Danang and Nin Binh. We spend time gossiping in the sea before heading back to Hoa's for the local family dinner. This basically means you are served up a buffet where the local food keeps on coming. You write your own beers down in the book under your tab and you meet like-minded people to have a damn good drink with.

By 9pm we are told that we're to loud so grab a crate of beer, write it down and get lost down to the beach. That we do and a great night is had by all. Guitars, beach, beer and great company. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment